An Adventure in Space and Time

Discussions of the classic british sci-fi show.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

An Adventure in Space and Time

Post by TimeMaster »

Even though I was a good few years away from being born at Dr Who's launch in 1963, I'm still really looking forward to An Adventure in Space and Time which I believe is due to air tomorrow. It's a 90 minute docu-drama focussing on the Hartnell era of the show.
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: An Adventure in Space and Time

Post by wombstar »

Tonight on bbc 2 at 10pm, followed by the first episodes on bbc4.
It looks amazing, i dunno who the the bloke is who's doing the part but he look fantastic.. wonder if they got him to do the first Doc for the 50th?
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
fluttermoth
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by fluttermoth »

Have you not seen any of the Harry Potter movies, wombstar?

David Bradley played Filtch, the caretaker, in them. He does look good!

I'm looking forward to this, very much, although I'm still slightly miffed that this is a full 90 minutes and the actual, anniversary episode is only 75!

>:D
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I have never seen a Harry Potter movie, and that's the truth. 8-o
I have seen clips and that's about it.

Possibly the three biggest film franchise in the world and I've not seen a single movie from them. (Potter, LOTR/Hobbit and Star wars)

anniversary episode may be 75 minutes but that mini episode was about 7.. kinda part of it I guess. and I have a feeling it may continue with the Christmas episode. not a proper two part thing, but i'm sure it will carry on.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

wombstar wrote:I have never seen a Harry Potter movie, and that's the truth. 8-o
I have seen clips and that's about it.

Possibly the three biggest film franchise in the world and I've not seen a single movie from them. (Potter, LOTR/Hobbit and Star wars)

In my humble opinion you are better sticking with Dr Who - and of course Knightmare! Those Lord of the Rings Movies go on forever - you could watch the whole of Knightmare Series 1 in the time it would take you to watch one LOTR movie! ;)

I'm sure that my opinion is in the minority however!
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

lol yes that's true, a mate of mine has all those extended versions.. I've considered watching them. I've deliberately avoided the Hobbit because I love the book and I don't understand how it's been made over 3 films.. maybe i'll catch up with theses one day.. lol.

I tend to get put off by films that are really hyped and popular, kinda makes me not want to see them.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

This was marvellous, Mark Gatiss's love for the show really shone through and David Bradley was excellent. Much has been said about Hartnell being difficult and this biopic highlighted that aspect of him. But he clearly loved the show and it must have been sad for him when he was forced to leave. At the end there was a lovely 5 minute feature about him, all in all a fitting tribute to the man who started it all.

Did anyone else notice Reece Shearsmith as Patrick Troughton? :)
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Melusina »

Yes - I'm a big fan of Reece Shearsmith (and of all LoG/Pscychoville things generally) so I was curious. I'm not the greatest Dr Who enthusiast so I don't know if he was a good choice for Troughton, dramatically speaking, but he looked nothing like him.
David Bradley was marvellous (award nomination?) and the programme was well-written and entertaining. Mark Gatiss should write more biopics and other works (anyone see The First Men In The Moon?) My only qualm with this story was Matt Smith's cameo as I thought it broke the spell a bit.
"It'll look good in Ruislip"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

The First Men In The Moon.. the Ray Harryhausen one?

The Troughton bit was horrid. 8-o
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Melusina »

This one from 2010 with Mark Gatiss and Rory Kinnear as the main characters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_ ... 2010_film)
"It'll look good in Ruislip"