Series 8 Appreciation Week

Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Series 8 Appreciation Week

Post by Mystara »

Yeah, walking off into a forrest seemed rather weird.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:
pjmlfc05 wrote: Shortcut - although I believe Dunstan deserved to win, introducing the shortcut did annoy me. Since when did Knightmare have a short cut in place in previous series? To me, it dumbed it down.
Not sure I agree with that. If L2 and the CoB have a comparable mortality rate, I don't think it can be dumbing things down to replace one with the other. It does become more polarised, but in general it would lead to the series being faster paced, because you'd be killing teams off much more quickly.
I understand what you are saying. But as a fan watching it since series 4 at the time when I was a kid, it struck a chord with me. I was thinking, hang on, there were never any short cuts in previous series. Even in series 8, we were only made aware of it during your quest. I know you and the team can only play the game presented to you. If the short cut was made known at the start of the series, then your point of the series being faster paced, I would agree with.

Were the previous teams before you made aware of the shortcut? Just to let you know, I'm not having a go, I do think Dunstan deserved to win. My gripe is with the shortcut in general.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

No idea if they were aware of it or not.

The shortcut was mentioned in our adventurer's code, which we received before we'd even played a single room. But then, we might have been the first team to receive that specific version of the code.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:No idea if they were aware of it or not.

The shortcut was mentioned in our adventurer's code, which we received before we'd even played a single room. But then, we might have been the first team to receive that specific version of the code.
That's fair enough. You can only play what's in front of you.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

But the next team also skipped level 2 it would appear Dunstan and co should have had enough time to complete their quest with level 2. The last team still did about one and a half levels, this should equal Dunstan's level 2 or not far off, So I don't think it was necessary, they could have cut a room to two out or even a spy glass scene to allow time. The Blade were the only real challenge.

But I reckon it was done to allow one of the last two teams a chance too win. Had Dunstan died in the blades the final team probably would have won instead.

It's certainly not the first time a team has been giving a lifeline at least it was a bit more challenging than that series 2 win :) But it just shows the series was way too short, and I can understand why they needed at least one winner, would have been quite a fitting end to the series has no one won.

Maybe we should have a topic about which winner had the toughest quest, be interesting to really compare them in detail.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

wombstar wrote:But the next team also skipped level 2 it would appear Dunstan and co should have had enough time to complete their quest with level 2. The last team still did about one and a half levels, this should equal Dunstan's level 2 or not far off, So I don't think it was necessary, they could have cut a room to two out or even a spy glass scene to allow time. The Blade were the only real challenge.
But there's no way of predicting that.
Different teams take different times in each room, each room lasts a different amount of time, NPC interactions vary all those times, different rooms take different times to set up, your players can only legally be in the studio for a fixed period of time each day, everyone needs to eat and have breaks, your cast may have other commitments, you may need indeterminate numbers of pickup shots after each room is filmed, technical things go wrong, you only have a fixed period of time for filming.....

Then there are other considerations like you want to avoid having two team intros in one episode or avoid bringing a team on to play for 3 minutes.

So whether it could have been done or not, with hindsight, is completely irrelevant. At the time, they didn't think there was time.
But I reckon it was done to allow one of the last two teams a chance too win. Had Dunstan died in the blades the final team probably would have won instead.
No, that's wrong I'm afraid. No teams were "allowed" to win.
It's certainly not the first time a team has been giving a lifeline at least it was a bit more challenging than that series 2 win :) But it just shows the series was way too short, and I can understand why they needed at least one winner, would have been quite a fitting end to the series has no one won.
I am not really sure what you mean by 'lifeline'. No teams had a free pass and all second chances resulted in automatic later death according to Tim.

as for needing a winner....there are two series with no winners. Why do you feel they would need one in a shortened series?
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

But there's no way of predicting that.
I know that, but in hindsight it might have been possible, it's all I'm saying.
No, that's wrong I'm afraid. No teams were "allowed" to win.
I never said that, I said "allowed the chance" because as you said without the short cut there wouldn't have been time to compete a full quest, the short cut allowed both teams a chance.
No teams had a free pass
winners regarding the Troll at the end of series 7, they never even picked up the quest object, same with the red dragon finial, would have been awkward had they both lost. lol
Why do you feel they would need one in a shortened series?

If they weren't pushing for a winner then why included a short cut in the first place? It was done because time was short and it was the only way to get a possible winner.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

No teams had a free pass
winners regarding the Troll at the end of series 7, they never even picked up the quest object, same with the red dragon finial, would have been awkward had they both lost. lol
I believe that Tim has addressed the first of these...
As I recall the team progressed as normal except that they were forced to pursue the hammer rather than the shield. The team then won (passed the final challenge) and so the eye shield became the shield of justice. In other words, had it not been for the irrelevant troll story, the team would have retrieved the shield.

According to Tim, IF the team had failed the final quest, they would have simply filmed the necessary bits to finish the story and return the hammer and the team would not then have earned the shield (ie have won).

I'm not sure what you mean by "free pass" because in every quest, the team was only declared as a winning team if they deserved it and had fairly earned it. Whatever "forced" filming was necessary to complete the story is irrelevant to the gameplay.

The same would appear to apply to the dragon.

Similarly in our quest, the last 1-2 scenes are fixed. We won as soon as we had overcome LF. The rest is just window dressing for the story.
Why do you feel they would need one in a shortened series?

If they weren't pushing for a winner then why included a short cut in the first place? It was done because time was short and it was the only way to get a possible winner.
As explained elsewhere, according to Tim, it was done to add an element of player choice into the game by allowing teams to gamble.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Oh I'm not complaining about it, I think they made great series finials.
It was one if the teams from series 2 which I felt had the easiest time.

Wherever a team took the short cut or not was up to them, wherever they walked off a ledge or got hit by a blade was in their own hands but as you say without the short cut there was no time for a full quest. So an opportunity was presented, so one of the last two teams had the best possible chance of success. Yes fait is still in the teams hands but other teams never got the chance and for that reason I never liked the idea of the short cuts even if it made good viewing at the time.

Also, had a team already won I wonder if the short cut would still have made an appearance.

Plus as much as I loved the series 6/7 endings I always thought it was a bit risky, always wondered what might had happened had the teams lost, I assumed they just weren't allowed too.

The other thing, didn't everyone who survived the Blades go on to win? I can't remember a team completing that and still failed.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

According to Tim, IF the team had failed the final quest, they would have simply filmed the necessary bits to finish the story and return the hammer and the team would not then have earned the shield (ie have won).
So do we know if this happened in series 6? That team defeated the Red dragon/series finial but were never declared winners.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

wombstar wrote:
So do we know if this happened in series 6? That team defeated the Red dragon/series finial but were never declared winners.
I think you're missing the point.

You aren't a winner for completing the finale. Those are fixed (you could hardly end a series by killing off Treguard).

You are declared a winner for being alive after having completed the dungeon. That might be by getting a quest item or by getting something else if you were at the end of the dungeon when the story requires that the quest becomes fixed. In other words, the quest items are meaningless. It's the dungeon that counts.

In the case of series 6, my guess is that either the team hadn't completed enough dungeon or they died but were allowed to play on in view of the fact that the rest of the show was going to be fixed.

I seem to recall hearing the latter somewhere but I might be way off.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I haven't missed the point I was just asking a question,
In the case of series 6, my guess is that either the team hadn't completed enough dungeon or they died but were allowed to play on in view of the fact that the rest of the show was going to be fixed
I just re-watched this on youtube I thought they had made it to level 3, but were still in level 2. So had they not died (if they did) wherever they would have been declared winners sounds unlikely considering the shortness of the quest.

Does make me laugh when Dwarf tunnels lead to a boat and then another set takes you right back to KM castle from the boat, the magic or portals. :D
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

wombstar wrote:Maybe we should have a topic about which winner had the toughest quest, be interesting to really compare them in detail.
I think that would definitely be an interesting thread to start! There's been lots of informal discussion about which winning quests were easier/harder, but I don't recall them being analysed in detail before, i.e. how many challenges they each faced and the likelihood of failing them.
wombstar wrote:The other thing, didn't everyone who survived the Blades go on to win? I can't remember a team completing that and still failed.
I don't think victory was guaranteed if you survived the blades, but yes, most of them either won or ran out of time to complete their quests. I think the only team to be killed off anyway was Sophia's, who had already got themselves into losing status by not answering a riddle. (We can't really count Simon in Series 4, who was guided by Gundrada and didn't have to do anything.)
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote:Maybe we should have a topic about which winner had the toughest quest, be interesting to really compare them in detail

Even better, do this on KM chat! We've had appreciation week. I wonder if that's what Pooka has in mind?!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

This is the sort of discussion I like!

I've never, ever been of the opinion thst Dunstan shouldn't have won. He did win and clearly deservedly so. Having watched his quest over again, there are a few small blips, but nothing particularly fatal. It wasn't an easy quest either - not really. The only contentious point is the shortcut - which is the CoB, which by that point had killed four teams - so not an easy thing to get through either!

Having read through this thread I think I can see the reason why his team weren't given a Level 2. Some fans (and my girlfriend is of this opinion quite strongly!) feel that they could have squeezed Levels 2 and 3 into the final episode, considering Oliver's quest gets them all the way through Level 1 and it's about the same length, but from what Alan says above, it looks like Tim was just not hedging any bets.

And rightly so. I'd be mightily pissed off if my team got halfway through Level 3 and were then cut off for the end of the series!

I have more of a problem with Oliver's team taking part - it looks like a good team, actually, so it's a shame they didn't get to do too much. It may not have hurt to give Dunstan a few more scenes to pad out the time. However, to Oliver's team's credit, they did get to be on Knightmare. I'd've wanted to do it, if it'd been me.

Oh, and...
pjmlfc05 wrote:
Canadanne wrote:Maybe we should have a topic about which winner had the toughest quest, be interesting to really compare them in detail

Even better, do this on KM chat! We've had appreciation week. I wonder if that's what Pooka has in mind?!
Yes, I was considering doing this! But we aren't done with Appreciation Weeks quite yet... :green:
Last edited by Pooka on 12 Oct 2019, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.