Re:Series 8 episode 2

Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:Series 8 episode 2

Post by Mystara »

That bit in particular made me laugh. I wonder if Gideon (main adviser dude, ya can't miss him) was told to calm down in between scenes - his voice started off quiet, but increased in volume as they got further through a room.
I think it's unlikely. They were always keen on people being enthusiastic rather than quiet.
He's probably just calmer because of the wait required between each room with nothing else going on. It's not like you just got to stand about on set watching things happen
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Mystara wrote:
hindleyite wrote: That bit in particular made me laugh. I wonder if Gideon (main adviser dude, ya can't miss him) was told to calm down in between scenes - his voice started off quiet, but increased in volume as they got further through a room.
I think it's unlikely. They were always keen on people being enthusiastic rather than quiet.
Paul McIntosh's 1996 interview with Tim Child gives a different impression. Also quoted on Knightmare.com's Series 8 Teams pages, his response to being asked if he had 'one outstanding memory of Knightmare' was:
Tim Child said / wrote:Probably the team of Jewish boys in the last series, who you may remember all came wearing their skull caps. They were all eleven, and became almost uncontrollably excited about their adventure! They became totally absorbed in what they were doing, and we had to think about toning the adventure down, just to calm them somehow! Worse still, was that Children's TV does not allow swearing or blaspheming in any show, so we had a lot of editing to do! We must have cut out about 200 "Oh God"s! (It was more like 2 dozen actually...)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Meh, that quote just sounds like management/PR speak to me. In what way could you possibly tone the adventure down to make the team "less excited"?

The latter editing I can certainly believe. But that's a different subject :)

I really doubt the team were told to calm down. From experience, the only direction we were given (at all) was in the final 'fixed' sequence of rooms on the way back to Treguard. In those rooms, they wanted us to be hyper and excited.

In any case, there were far more important things for people to be concerned with than the (editable) over excitement of a team. And not to mention, the team is the whole point of a game show. It wouldn't be much good if all of them were drab, boring and quiet!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The last few posts were getting a little off topic ("Series 8 episode 2").
I've therefore split those posts in to their own thread:

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=2550

shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

I liked it when Gideon was always going "Oh my God!" and "RUN RUN RUN!!!" XDDDDD
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

shadow6162 wrote:I liked it when Gideon was always going "Oh my God!" and "RUN RUN RUN!!!" XDDDDD

Ha ha ha, yeah! I was watching that episode the other day thinking: A Jewish boy saying "OH MY GOD" quite a few times :O.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Majida: "Without this Stiletta there's really no way out of Level 1, huh?"
Treguard: "Sadly not."

...One episode later...

Daniel: "Do you have any information about how to get out of Level 1?"
Stiletta: "Oh dear, no, that's not my line of work."
Mogdred
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Mogdred »

Canadanne wrote:Majida: "Without this Stiletta there's really no way out of Level 1, huh?"
Treguard: "Sadly not."

...One episode later...

Daniel: "Do you have any information about how to get out of Level 1?"
Stiletta: "Oh dear, no, that's not my line of work."
Danie: Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Brother Strange: No I've gott that one.
Daniel: Many hands make light work.
Brother Strange: A marvelous proverb Daniel!

Brother Strange's memory must be failing since he said he had BOTH of those in the last series! Interesting how two differenr teams selected the same two proverbs which apparently contradict each other.
stevendoig
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by stevendoig »

Just watched this episode again with my wee boy.
A few thoughts and observations ( I think I'll do this all the time- if that's ok....:) )

I've just noticed series 8 episodes are only twenty minutes long! - combine that with the massive spy glass scenes and there's hardly time for good old dungeoneering!

I loved Lord Fears risqué line re Stilleta 'She's got long legs and a couple of other striking features'

Gideon is ...... well lets just say I kept feeling really sorry for the other two advisors who clearly kept trying to contribute and couldn't get a word in.

The same goes for whenever Treguard and Majida were having their scripted banter, the advisors either ignored them or talked over them

What was the actual point of the Early warning horn?

Snapper Jack- Hmm, the actor tries his best (I think!) but fails to convince. Can I also add to the above posts that as far as I am concerned they got all 3 answers but he said they got 2...

I did enjoy the episode but very little actually happened !!!
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 2 certainly couldn't be accused of any lack of enthusiasm. ;) Their excitement over-ran somewhat at times and they didn't listen to Treguard's suggestions. :(
:exclaim: Can't believe that the editors removed some, but not all, of the shouts of: "Oh my G_d!" from advisor Gideon during the fireball room. That woz rather naughty....
They tried to bargain with Stiletta before even introducing Daniel.
Encountered Brother Strange, who evidently needs to keep collecting proverbs coz he keeps forgetting the ones he already had. ::)
Used their "FLOAT" spell in the trapdoor to level 2.

First appearance of Snapper-Jack and they did well. Not sure about this character yet. :-/
Level 2 clue-room and we had the first sighting of Maldame, another would-be ally of LF.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D